Charitable Impact accepts donations of publicly traded securities, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and more. You receive increased tax savings when you donate publicly traded securities in-kind, rather than selling them first and donating the proceeds.
Charitable Impact also accepts other non-cash assets, including private company shares, life insurance, real estate, cryptocurrency, and art. Learn more about donating and investing non-cash assets.
Investments are eligible for donation if they are:
- Capital property in the hands of the donor
- Shares, bonds, and debentures that are listed on a prescribed stock exchange
- Rights and debt obligations (typically bonds or debentures) that are listed on a prescribed stock exchange
- Shares of a Canadian public mutual fund corporation and units of a mutual fund trust
- Interests in a segregated fund trust
- A bond
- A debenture
- A note or mortgage of the Canadian federal or provincial governments
Two ways to donate publicly traded securities
There are two options available to donate publicly traded securities. You can either:
- Donate & Give: transfer the securities in-kind and sell them for immediate giving, or
- Donate & Invest: transfer the securities in-kind and hold them in a Charitable Investment Account for further growth
Donate & Give via our account at CG Wealth Management
- Fill out a Letter of Direction that your broker provides to you (or download this one).
- Send a copy to your broker who will initiate the transfer of securities.
- Send a copy to Charitable Impact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a copy to Charitable Impact’s broker: Stenner Wealth Partners+
- Sign up for a personal Impact Account if you don’t have one already.
The securities will be sold at market price as soon as possible once received. The amount that is transferred to your Impact Account is based on the selling price of the securities, less any trade fees charged by CG Wealth Management.
Your tax receipt is based on the closing price of the securities as of the donation date, and is not affected by trade fees.
CG Wealth Management fees
The following fees apply, and are based on the trade value of the securities:
- Under $3,000: $130
- $3,000-$4,999: $150
- Over $5,000: $180 or (1% + $30) whichever is greater
Donate & Invest with your own advisor
To donate and hold securities, you will first need to open a Charitable Investment Account.
- Instruct your financial advisor to contact Charitable Impact at email@example.com. We’ll share our Investment Policy Guidelines and Fee Schedule with them.
- Your advisors will open a Charitable Investment Account for you, and you will sign a transfer form to move your securities into it. We will also send you a Donor Application form to complete and return to us.
- Sign up for a personal Impact Account if you don’t have one already. You will receive a tax receipt for the fair market value of the securities in your Impact Account once the transfer is complete.
- Let us know when you’re ready to give to charities. We'll sell some or all of the assets and make the funds available in your Impact Account, which you’ll use to send gifts. Learn more about giving to charities from your Impact Account.
Charitable Investment Account fees
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about donating publicly traded securities and other non-cash assets.