Send money from a Giving Group to charity
Money raised by Giving Groups can be used to support one or more qualified donees, which includes registered Canadian charities. Giving Group administrators can send money to charities at any time. The money raised can also be used to support Campaigns and other Giving Groups.
Giving Group members can see where and when money was sent by viewing the Transactions and Activity tabs on the Giving Group page. Members will also receive an email notification whenever Giving group administrators send money from the group.
Creating and managing Giving Groups is currently only available on the web, but you can still join and support Giving Groups from the mobile app.
- Select the magnifying glass icon at the top of your screen to find the charity you’re looking to send money to, or click Give from this group from the Giving Group page.
- Once you have found the charity, select the Give button.
- Select your Giving Group from the Give from drop-down menu.
- Select Send gift after confirming the details of your gift.
Tip: You can pre-select the charities your group supports to make it even easier to send them money. Add charities to support from your Giving Group page. Then, when you select Give from this Group, you’ll have the option to select Give to a charity this group supports.
Good to know
Banks and credit card companies charge charities, including Charitable Impact, a fee to process donations. When donors use a credit card to add money, the fee is 2.8%. We recover this fee when you send a gift to charity from your Giving Group.
When you send a gift to charity, you’ll be asked to enter the amount you wish to give. The recovery fee mentioned above is automatically generated and shown to you. The charity will receive your gift amount minus this fee.
If you want to send an exact gift amount to charity, get in touch with us firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to help!
Repurposing money raised by a Giving Group
When money is given to Giving Groups using Charitable Impact, it must be used for charitable purposes. Money cannot be returned to the donor once it has been given to the group. Learn more from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Sometimes, the money raised by a Giving Group can't be used for its original purpose. This can happen if a charitable project falls through, or if a charity's status is changed by the CRA.
If this happens, here's what you can do with the money raised instead:
- Forward the funds to a new charity that is similar to the original charity. This is the CRA’s recommendation.
- Or, download a transaction report to see donors’ email addresses (if they’ve chosen to share them) and the amounts they donated. Using Charitable Impact, send each one a transfer of the same amount. The charitable dollars will be deposited to their Impact Account, where they can use them in other ways. If a donor doesn’t accept the transfer, the charitable dollars will return to the Giving Group where you can repurpose them.